Dr Radha Krishna Salai
Queen Mary’s College has been in the forefront of the education of women ever since July 1914, when the Government of Madras instituted the Madras Women’s College. The initial intake of 33 students was housed in a modest building called ‘Capper House’. However, by 1915, the college premises were expanded through the government’s annexure of the area surrounding Capper House. At this stage it offered only Intermediate courses. In 1916 under graduate courses were offered in History and Economics. Eventually Intermediate courses in subjects like Geography, Indian Music, Physics, Chemistry and Home Science were introduced.