0 out of 5 Stars
No 601,Anna Salai
The place where The Park hotel stands today was the location of the Gemini Studios, a historic film studio since the 1940s. S. S. Vasan, a Tamil film maker, bought the Motion Picture Producers' Combines studio of his friend K. Subramaniam, which was destroyed by a fire in 1940, on Mount Road in 1940 in a court auction for ? 86,427-11-9, the odd figure arrived at through including the interest on unpaid wages of the employees. The studio was rebuilt and opened under the name Gemini Studios, which went on to become one of the finest studio and a legendary film production centre in the Subcontinent. Gemini Pictures declined in the 1970s though remaining successful as a studio and equipment rental business. In the 1990s, two buildings were built in the corner of the studio's premises only to be considered unfavourable among buyers. By the turn of the 21st century, the Kolkata-based Park Group of Hotels bought the three-star property in the premises and turned it into a five-star luxury hotel and opened it on 15 May 2002. In the same year, the other block was scheduled for auction by Indian Bank.